Thursday 12 March 2015

Smashbox - double exposure pallet!

Hello all,

so recently I went shopping in oxford and I may have ended up at a smashbox counter and I may have ended up buying the newest pallet....

It's called the 'double exposure pallet' and it cost me £37, which is pricey but its so worth it!
I've heard so much about this pallet and it deffo meets all the good reviews and raves.


 
You may be thinking 'Fern, this is just another ordinary pallet' but believe me...it's not...

What makes this pallet so special is that you can change the colours by simply adding water. All you have to do is wet/dampen the brush and the colours transform from either: matte, satin or shimmer to become: more metallic, amped up vibrancy, deeper or added sparkle. Which is so cool and unique for a pallet! So, 14 colours, become 28.




The pallet also comes with a little booklet thing that tells you how to do pretty eye looks for different eye shapes and how to make your eyes look most flattering.
It also comes with a bit of paper that goes over the shadows that tells you what they're called, what they look like and how they change with water.
Much like the too faced chocolate bar pallet, the actual pallet doesn't have the names on, they're on a separate bit of paper, but it doesn't really matter, unless you're picky.
It also comes with a double ended brush, one end flat and the other angled and fluffy.



The pallet contains both warm and cool tone colours, which is really good for making a variety of different looks. However all the colours are quite dramatic, so it's best for dramatic, night out kind of looks, but you can still make some really pretty everyday looks from it.

All the shadows are pretty pigmented, however some of the lighter shades some don't show up too well on me, as I am as pale as a ghost and vampires child, but when I add water they become more pigmented and show up a lot better.
Also, the colours are all really creamy and blend out really easily.



I decided to swatch the colours (excuse my moley arms) so you could see how they change when wet. In the pictures above, they are the dry colours. ( I know they are quite hard to see, as I said, pale as a vampire) the first picture is the cool tone purples and blues and the second is the warm tone pinks and browns.



Now these are the wet colours. As you can see they instantly become so much more pigmented and vibrant. Some of them become more like cream eye-shadows, which I love!
You don't have to worry about the colours permanently changing, they change back in the pallet again almost instantly, but stay transformed on your eyes. 

Here's a list of colours from left to right, top row: silver, mauve, peony, blanc, quartz, flushed, veiled
second row: midnight, temper, haze, noir, copper, fig, espresso.

My personal favourite few are quartz and flushed, as they are melony pinky colours and that's what I personally love on my eyes! I also really love blanc as its like pure glitter and so shimmery and pretty. As you can tell I love my warm tones!

So I thought I'd say my favourite combos and how to do them.

My favourite warm tone:
  1. apply espresso into the crease (dry)
  2. then put flushed (wet) all over the lid
  3. to deepen the eye, add fig (dry) into the outer V
  4. Add quarts (wet) onto the centre of the lid
  5. Finally put blanc (wet) in the inner corner to open up the eyes more.
  6. Blend flushed and fig under eye
This makes a really pretty everyday kind of look that can be made more subtle or intense by adding or not adding water.

My favourite cool tone:

  1. apple haze (dry) into crease
  2. put mauve and peony (wet) onto the lid
  3. deepen outer V with temper.
  4. finally silver (wet) into the inner corner
  5. sometimes I like to put some blanc (wet) on the centre on the lid to make it a bit less dark.
  6. blend haze and temper under the eye
This creates a really pretty purple smokey eye, which is quite dramatic and looks stunning on lots of skin tones.
I also add a thin line of eyeliner to both these looks, sometimes a wing if I want it to be more dramatic!

Finally, my only issue with this pallet is that there is no 'crease blending colour' for example a light brown or burnt orange colour, so some of the colours may take a while and more precaution to blend out seamlessly. However it's easily worked around with a good blending brush!

So, thankyou for reading I hope you enjoyed! I really love this pallet and recommend it to anyone who is thinking about getting their hands on it!

Cool tone eyemake up look (ft my on point brows)


Please follow this blog and come and have a chat with me on all my social media!

Thanks again,
Fern:) 




No comments:

Post a Comment